We’re thrilled to announce this year’s winning stories of The Asian Writer Short Story Prize 2016.
- First prize – The Swim by Jamilah Ahmed
- Second prize – The Other Side of the Bridge by Serena Patel
- Third prize – Saviour by Meera Betab
Stories on this year’s shortlist included:
- Ninety Days by Ashok Patel
- The Swim by Jamilah Ahmed
- A Safe Place by Farah Ahamed
- The Boatboy by Mona Dash
- The Other Side of the Bridge by Serena Patel
- Saviour by Meera Betab
- Mind the Gap by Farrah Yusuf
- The Man in the Shadows by Palo Stickland
- Cows and Lambs by Lynne E Blackwood
- The Picnic by Sadia Iqbal
- Eurovision by Namita Chakrabarty
- Red and Purple by Juhi the Fragrant
It was wonderful to read all of the stories entered in this year’s competition and to see your interpretations to our theme ‘Borders, Boundaries and Belonging.’ Commiserations to those who didn’t make it on the list. It was an incredibly tough year to judge the prize with the quality of entries surpassing all previous years.
The shortlisted entries will be published in an anthology set to launch in Spring 2017.
The first prize winner wins £100 national book token and a bundle of books.