The Lancaster Playwriting Prize is a new partnership initiative between Lancaster University and The Dukes Theatre, Lancaster; it is supported by Lucy Briers, Tamasha Theatre Company and Arts Council England. In this inaugural year, the Prize is focused on BAMER (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee) playwrights. The aim is not just to discover new voices, but to empower playwrights from culturally diverse backgrounds in general by building skills, confidence and networks.
All longlisted scripts will be read in full. Up to five shortlisted finalists will have their script workshopped with professional actors and directors, and see extracts performed at a public showcase event held at The Dukes, Lancaster.
The winner will receive £1500 and will be invited to become part of the Tamasha Playwrights group for 2018/19, receiving tailored training and mentoring as they develop their careers (http://www.tamasha.org.uk/
- The window for scripts opens on 23rd April 2018. Scripts must be emailed by noon 22nd June 2018.
- The competition is open to any BAMER (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee) writers who are originally from, resident or work in the North West of England. For the purposes of this prize, the North West consists of Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Merseyside.
- Writers must be over 16.
- The play must be an original, unpublished and unproduced piece of work. It cannot have had a professional production anywhere in the world. For the purposes of this prize, development performances (such as rehearsed readings and workshops) do not constitute full productions; amateur productions also do not count as full productions under these criteria.
- Adaptations of existing works of musical theatre, radio, television or other media are not eligible; translations of said works are also excluded.
- Musical theatre scripts are not eligible.
- Scripts must be a minimum of 40 minutes long and all pages must be numbered.
- For more details on how to enter and our criteria, please go to www.lancaster.ac.uk/
playwriting or email lancasterplaywriting@ lancaster.ac.uk